Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Girl (geeks) on top!

I've had a small break in updating my blog as I've just started out on my new freelance career. It's all very exciting, and I've already got my teeth into a great new web project.

I'm actually freelancing at a place I worked about 5-6 years ago. When I was last there, the technical department was full of geeky guys and perhaps the odd girl, who were either PAs or there on a research/analytical basis. What a difference a few years makes. On my first visit back to the department, 3 out of the 5 people working on my new project, were women. HURRAH!

Being a web editor means I've mostly worked with blokes, especially on the tech side, and it's always annoyed me. Who says woman can't be good at the development and programming side of things? I'm no technical guru, but my husband will hold his hands up and admit, I know how to do all the technical things in our household.

Woman are actually brilliant at the logical things in life, plus we're great at multi-tasking - both important qualities if you want to be a web developer. I wish I'd realised there was such a career. Back in the '90s when I started my career, the web was so new that I never knew you could train to be someone who built the damn thing. In fact, there's been a rise in girls taking science GSCEs, which shows that the female of the species are finally becoming more interested in things that were traditional seen as male.

So here's to all the geeky girls on top (and yes, I'm showing my age by including the image above - anyone else remember this show?) and let's hope there will be many more of them over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment