Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Google search a day keeps the doctor away

Google is a wonderful invention. It allows everyone access to all sorts of information. However, according to a report in the Daily Mail, too much information can be very unhealthy.

The report says that one in ten woman who do so have endured nasty side effects as a result of misdiagnosis. The dangers occurred when those woman bought their own medication from a pharmacy without consulting a professional.

I've been so guilty of searching for a diagnosis when I've been ill - the most worrying recent diagnosis was ovarian cancer, which I'm glad to say I haven't got, but I do know when to stop. I'd never prescribe myself something, even if it was something as innocuous as thrush or flu. Who knows, you may under diagnose and actually have something serious?

The first port of call when you're sick should always be your GP, but I do love the way that technology has given us access to lots of information - previously only doled out by medical professionals. I always love using the NHS Direct Symptom Checker, especially when it's involving my little boy. It's a great website, which allows you check your symptoms via topics, alphabet or body part.


It has been a saviour at times, especially when struck down with a nasty tummy bug on a Saturday and no doctors available, but I pretty much always back up my diagosis with a trip to my GP, who can also offer that much needed sympathy. It seems technology can't do everything, especially when that everything is the personal touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment