Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The app that will make your baby sleep*


When I got my iPhone towards the end of my pregnancy, I thought it would be useful to keep in touch with all my mates while I was ensconced in the house with newborn babba on my hipo. What I didn’t realise is that it would be a total life-saver once said baby had arrived.


I thought that apps could allow me do my banking while on the move, amuse me in those early hours of the morning while feeding baby, help me keep connected with my friends. I didn’t realise that there were such a wealth of baby-related apps out there.


Anyone who has had a baby knows that those early months are hell – mainly because you don’t get much sleep. Babies have gone from being cocooned in the comfort of the womb to being in this noisy, foreign place and that makes it difficult for them to sleep.


We struggled endlessly with our little man. It didn’t help that he had reflux, a condtion, which meant he didn’t like lying on his back, but we just couldn’t figure out why he wouldn’t sleep. That’s when I stumbled across the Baby Sleeping Wonder app - or Einschlafwunder in its native German (ooo, it trips off the tongue...)

It’s a really simple app, which basically allows you to choose various white noises to help your baby to sleep. Whether you choose a hairdryer or waves, the background noise supposedly soothes baby to sleep. It must work as Wayne Rooney still likes to sleep with the hoover on – unless that is of course some other deep-seated festish he has. You can also add in a heartbeat, which makes the baby feel like it’s back in the womb. 


You could go out and buy a white noise CD but the bonus with this app is that it has a timer and at the end of the allotted time, it fades out and stops on its own, gradually reducing the noise until there is total quiet.


It might not work for every baby but it certainly helped ours get some sleep – and both myself and my husband found the noise quite soothing as well!


Verdict: It’s simple to use and it may well help your baby sleep, which is worth its weight in gold. The fact that it’s on your iPhone means you can also use it when you’re out and about or on holiday, which is definitely a bonus over those white noise CDs. Download the Baby Sleeping Wonder app for free now and hopefully you’ll get some much-needed sleep.*



*Well, probably

No comments:

Post a Comment