Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Retro geek chic

Hi, my name is Jayne and I'm a retro geek. Yes, it may be a total oxymoron that I'm a lover of high-technology, yet I hyearn for the past. However, it seems that I'm not the only one out there with this paradox.

Maybe it's the recession but everything geek seems to be going a little bit retro. Headphones are supersize once again. Radios look like something my nan had. And classic arcade games such as Paperboy and Space Invaders are being downloaded in their thousands on phones and tablets.

Retro geek: Headphones, Munchman, BBC Micro and a retro radio

For me, it's hardly a surprise I have one foot in the past and one in the digital future. My first experience of anything technical was a Speak and Spell, with its funny Americanims, followed by Simon. At the time those games were groundbreaking - they made noises, they were interactive, they were from the future.

My first real foray into technology though was at the age of 11 when my parents bought me a BBC Micro Computer. That Christmas, my inner geek finally broke free. For the first three months, I merely produced programmes on it that flashed up my name or did simple calculations, but then I got into games. In those days, you had to load games via a cassette machine and a tape - hilarious! - but the games were addictive and my sister and I were soon addicted to Chuckie Egg (I'm waiting for that app any day now).

This love of old technology has stayed with me all this time and I love the fact that technology creators are realising we hanker for the old days when things were simpler, creating products that are more streamlined, look nice but do everything you need in this modern day and age. Long live retro geek chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment