Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Six degrees of separation

I was on a photoshoot with legendary TV duo Richard and Judy (name drop!) yesterday and due to some strange co-incidences realised that we are all only a short step away from everyone. It turned out that two of the other participants in said photoshoot actually worked at the same place (at a different time) and had the same manager. Bearing in mind we were all picked randomly to be at the shoot, it was really quite freaky!

So I was interested to take part in a social media experiment being run by Yahoo! In their Small World Experiment they are hoping to find how closely connected we are by using the ultimate social tool, Facebook. As the blurb says "The Small World Experiment is designed to test the hypothesis that anyone in the world can get a message to anyone else in just "six degrees of separation" by passing it from friend to friend. Now, using Facebook we finally have the technology to put the hypothesis to a proper scientific test."

I immediately signed up and was given my person to track down via Facebook. The idea is you are located a random person and then through your contacts you have to try and connect with them in six steps.


I was all excited until I was told to locate Seunghee Jung from Korea... WTF?! I don't know anyone who lives there or has contacts there. It gets even more difficult as you can only choose one Facebook contact to carry on the chain, so the success of your hunt depends on whether they want to participate in this piece of detective work or if they have something better to do.

I've now also signed up to be a target (I hope it doesn't literally mean someone is going to take a hit out on me?!) so it will be interesting to see if I get found. Ooo, it's just like playing Peekaboo with my little boy...

Let me know if you've signed up and whether you've managed to track down your target. I can't wait to see the results. In the meantime, I'm off to find another target - perhaps I'll get Kevin Bacon this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment