Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Did you hear about that riot in London?

Alongside pretty much everyone in London, I was glued to my TV last night, watching the riots unfold. In changing situations like this, TV news is still the one to watch, especially as most news channel were beaming live footage from helicopters showing the violence spreading.

However, Twitter also comes into its own during real-time news situations. I was trying to find out if there was trouble in my local area and even though I'd had some texts confirming there was, the news didn't show anything.


After a quick search on Twitter, not only did I have confirmation that a riot was indeed happening in that specific area, I also had first-had photos and videos of the damage. Twitter is a powerful tool for relaying news stories. I found out about Alexander McQueen's death via Twitter, the same for Amy Winehouse, however, I would warn against jumping on a news bandwagon too quickly.

The problem with Twitter is ultimately she is the local village gossip, spreading rumours like wildfire and not necessarily substantiating any of them. After a minute on searching for riot information last night, I was worried to find that apparently rioters were literally on my doorstep. What? Home alone with a small baby, I was just about ready to flee! However, after doing a bit more investigation, including texting someone who lived in the middle of supposed riot battleground, I could confirm the rumours were just that...

Just as you might enjoy a touch of salacious gossip from the village tittle-tattle, but not whole-heartedly believe it, this is the way to take most news on Twitter – just think of all those celebrities suddenly trending because their death has been announced.

Equally, let's not forget the good Twitter can do. This morning, #riotcleanup started trending – an operation to get everyone to pitch in and clean up the capital. Amidst the bleakness, it created a small sense of hope, igniting that good ole Blitz spirit – and proved that sometimes the village gossip can actually have a heart of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment