Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Have you got Kindle fever?

You see, I haven't. And for a geek (albeit, a glam one) that's quite disturbing. I jump on the gadget train as soon as a new must-have is released. I get great joy out of discovering new and exciting websites and products. Yet, the Kindle just leaves me cold.

I feel however, like I must be the only one. The latest Kindle Fire has been released in the States to huge acclaim. They've sold out across the land and keen Kindlers (is that the correct term?) over here in Blighty are desperate to find out the release date - but I really couldn't be bothered. I have downloaded a few books onto my iPad but I've not got round to reading them, because when it comes to a fight between a good old fashioned book and reading one on a tablet, the paper version wins every time for me.



I know all the plus points about a Kindle - the books take up less space, you can change the font size - but all I hear is yack, yack, yack.

For me, reading a book is just so much more than the words - it's the smell of that new (or vintage) book when you open it; the feel of the paper - it's a total experience that a tablet just can't give me. I like turning down a corner or slipping in a bookmark. I like seeing how many more pages I've got to go. I like people knowing what I'm reading - I've had interesting chats with total strangers about books I've been reading on trains, planes and in cafes.

This may be the one big paradox in my life - a geekette who likes reading old fashioned books - but sometimes a girl just knows what she wants. I just hope books don't vanish completely - I really want my son to know the pleasure in turning those pages and immersing himself in a good story.

Maybe the only way to settle this is with a Harry Hill style 'Fight!' - I'm reckoning the oversized book  would beat the oversized plastic tablet ever so slightly. What do you think? Are you on Team Book? Or Team Kindle? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment